3 Ultimate Morning Drinks to Kickstart Your Day
Ultimate Morning Drink No. 1: Apple Cider Vinegar + Honey + Cinnamon + Warm Water
This treasure trove of healthy ingredients comes warmly recommended by yours truly.
Mix these ingredients (1 tsp of apple cider, 1 tsp of honey, 2 pinches of cinnamon - or as much as it feels good to your palate) in a glass of warm water and drink it first thing in the morning. Try not to drink it all at once, but sip it like a tea.
Why warm water, you might ask?
Studies that salute drinking warm water early in the morning are many. It has been shown that:
- It helps digestion
- Unlike cold water, it’s not shocking for the body
- It is the easiest for the body to absorb
So, I know that for most people the usual thing is to reach for cold water, but you will do your body a huge favor if you decide for the other side of the tap for a change. So, even if you don’t include any of the other ingredients, but just drink warm water on an empty stomach, it’s good enough.
If I was good at writing poems, I’d make a poem about cinnamon- that’s how good it is for you. But for now, a few bullet points will do:
- Powerful anti inflammatory properties
- Lowers the risk of heart disease
- Anti-diabetic effects
- Help with alzheimer’s, parkinson’s and other diseases that attack brain cells.
- Protects against cancer
- Help prevent infections
Important note: there are two kinds of cinnamon: the uber healthy and healthy-in-small-amounts cinnamon.
The first one comes from Sri Lanka, the second one from China. Both of them are good, with the difference that Chinese cinnamon, called Cassia cinnamon, has large doses of coumarin, a compound which can cause health problems if used in large amounts. The better one, Ceylon cinnamon, is known as ‘true cinnamon’.
What about apple cider vinegar?
An apple a day keeps the doctor away, remember what our moms used to say?
Apply this to apple cider vinegar too. The effects it has on losing fat are undisputable -- any healthy lifestyle blog will confirm you that!
Here's a brief overview:
- It does wonders for belly fat lost!
- Regulates blood sugar levels.
- Lowers cholesterols.
- And more!
And the last ingredient of this potent drink is...
We all know how good honey is for us all, so I’ll make just a quick reminder:
- Helps with gastrointestinal disorders, such as ulcer.
- Boosts sports performance - Ancient Olympic athletes ate honey for this reason. Many modern studies have confirmed that it helps maintain glycogen levels and improve recovery time.
- Improves eyesight.
- Helps weight loss.
- Helps with impotence, diarrhea and nausea.
- Yes, it has sugar, but it has the good sugar! The combination of fructose and glucose found in honey is beneficial for regulating blood sugar levels.
- It’s antibacterial because of a special enzyme that bees add when making it.
Ultimate Morning Drink No. 2: Lemon + Mint + Warm Water
Yes, warm water again. By now, you have probably noticed I’m insisting on that one. Of course, some people are not too fond of drinking it and I completely understand that. If you belong to this crowd, then my advice is: cold water is better than no water. So, go for whatever makes you feel good.
But do try warm water for a few days first. 🙂
Lemon flushes out toxins from our system. It also brings many many (many!!!) amazing benefits to your body:
- It’s rich in vitamins.
- Helps with digestion.
- Aids weight loss.
- Burns fat.
- Cleans your liver -- also important for weight loss.
- Helps prevent anemia.
- Prevents kidney stones.
- Protects from cancer.
- Not to mention the refreshing taste and wake-up-and-get-going feeling it gives you in the morning!
Important lemon note: don’t skip the pulp and the skin. You’ll be missing out on many of these benefits.
What does mint do?
Aside from it being a great addition to any summer drink, it also:
- Helps with indigestion and inflammation.
- Soothes stomach aches, nausea and headaches.
- Prevents memory loss.
- Helps with weight loss.
- Should I go on?
Ultimate Morning Drink No. 3: Ginger + Cucumber + Mint Leaves
Grate 1 small knob of ginger, add 1 cup of water and boil it for 5 minutes. Remove ginger, wait for it to cool and add a few slices of cucumber and mint leaves.
A summer variant would be to use unboiled water and add a few cubes of ice.
What’s so good about this mixture?
First off, ginger almighty has more benefits than I have space here to write about.
Here are just some of the things it ginger does for you:
- It boosts your metabolism and we all know how important that is! Link o a ex if one is here.
- It’s an amazing detoxifier.
- Great against morning sickness.
- Anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties.
- Reduces muscle pain and soreness.
- Lowers cholesterol levels.
- Improves brain functions.
You can use powder ginger or fresh grinded one, whichever you prefer. (Fresh is always better though!) Just be aware that ginger has a pungent flavour, so don’t go too crazy with the amounts you add in drinks or food.
- Hydrate (over 96% of a cucumber is water).
- Have loads of vitamins.
- Cool you down during times of heat.
- Are great for your skin.
- Have antiinflammatory and antioxidant properties.
- Help weight loss.
- Are great to much on during the day!
And here you have it, 3 easy-to-make morning drinks perfect for your body, mind and soul.
Indeed, starting your day with one of them is a great habit to cultivate.
(And speaking of developing cool habits that do good to your body, mind and soul, here’s a handy post about that.)
Join our free newsletter, and as a subscriber, you never miss a post AND you get access to my exclusive training tips, nutrition advice, workouts, meal plans, ebooks, and a whole lot more! Join the community of over 7300 people today!